On Oct 28, 2004, at 10:42 PM, Belorion wrote:

> I went through and deleted mod_ruby.so. It appears in 2 locations, and
> deleting 1 deletes the other.  I have 2 versions of apxs on my system,
> and I have tried ./configure --with-apxs=apxs_location
> with both of them.  I still get the same error.
>
> I'm not sure I understand how to change LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
> LD_RUN_PATH.
>

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:23:59 +0900, ara.t.howard / noaa.gov
> <ara.t.howard / noaa.gov> wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Belorion wrote:
>>

>>> I've installed mod_ruby and eruby on a number of different occassions
>>> without a hitch.
>>>
>>> However, I'm having issues now.  I recently upgraded my apache server
>>> to 2.0.50.  I figured I would have to update my modules, and so I
>>> wasn't surprised when this didn't work right off the bat.
>>>
>>> I tought, hey, I just need to rebuild mod_ruby.
>>>
>>> So I d/l the most recent version from modruby.net, unpacked,
>>> /configure --with-apxs, make, make install.
>>>
>>> And I get this message:
>>>
>>> "Starting httpd: httpd: module "mod_ruby.c" is not compatible with
>>> this version of Apache (found 20020628, need 20020903).
>>> Please contact the vendor for the correct version."
>>>
>>> I can't figure out what the heck is going on.  I've tried 3 different
>>> versions of mod_ruby.  I've even gone so far as to update my entire
>>> system (which was RH9) to Fedora Core 2 via yum.  I also upgraded gcc
>>> and glibc... and I STILL get the same error.
>>>
>>> I can't figure out what the heck to do.  Any suggestions?
>>
>> sounds like you are linking (at runtime) against the old mod_ruby
>> libraries
>> compiled against the old apache - eg. the old libs are still on your
>> system
>> somewhere and it's these that are being used.  perhaps this is due to
>> apxs
>> used or somesuch.  if this is the case you need to convice apache to
>> load the
>> correct mod_ruby somehow.  perhaps using some combination of
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
>> LD_RUN_PATH, or flags to configure/compile steps building mod_ruby.
>> in any
>> case, i'd confirm you are not loading the old version when running
>> httpd.
>> something like
>>
>>    LD_DEBUG=all httpd start
>>
>> may help.
>>
>> cheers.
>>
>> -a
>> --
>> =========
>> | EMAIL   :: Ara [dot] T [dot] Howard [at] noaa [dot] gov
>> | PHONE   :: 303.497.6469
>> | When you do something, you should burn yourself completely, like a
>> good
>> | bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself.  --Shunryu Suzuki
>> =========

Well, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LD_RUN_PATH are environment variables, set at
the shell level. But this is not what you want to do at all. Everybody
should remebember that Apache loads its modules from explicitly given
paths, not the one specified ld.so.

What you _do_ want to do is to clean out the apache module directory
(check your system but usually its something like
/usr/lib/apache-modules, I would not know, I haven't logged into a
RHbox in years). Make very sure that there are no mod_ruby.so files
lying around. Then install your newly downloaded version and make sure
the file appears. Restart apache and see.

Remember, it could be that the error message is actually not an error,
that either apache or mod_ruby are saying "This is not going to work".
It would be be useful to know what exactly is the source of the error
message, the Apache source code or the mod_ruby source code.

NE-ways, hope it helps.

A thought: What version of apache are you upgrading from? Just to get
an idea of the system in place?

/Curne