On Monday 01 November 2004 01:42, John Carter wrote:
[snip]
> I would assume that deep inside you have translated the Regex into some
> sort of finite automaton.
>
> What I would like is at the transition where the FA jams, it returns the
> index to the char in the string it jammed on, and the range of chars for
> which it would have accepted at that point.
>
> For example
>   /ab[cde]|ab(xy|yz)|ab_s/.try_match("abf")
> should return something like...
> "Jammed on index 2, character 'f' expected one of [cdexy_]"

Interesting.. however I don't think its possible, because of backtracking.
Though, I could do more logging of what is going on, so that one can inspect
the sequence of events (lots of data).

This is somehow related to maybe_match, which returns true as long as there is
a chance for the regexp to match.. and false when there is no chance it can
match. (maybe_match is not implemented.. but I expect to add it one day).

--
Simon Strandgaard