Phil Tomson wrote:
> Next I downloaded and installed ruby-gems.
>
> After this I tried using gem to install net-ssh and I got:
>
> I then tried installing session just to see if it might be a problem with
> net-ssh:
>
>  # gem install session
>  Attempting local installation of 'session'
>  Local gem file not found: session*.gem
>  Attempting remote installation of 'session'
>  Successfully installed session, version 2.1.9
>  Installing RDoc documentation for session-2.1.9...
>

> That seemed to work OK, but when I try to require 'session', it's not
> found:
>
>  # irb
>  irb(main):001:0> require 'session'
>  LoadError: No such file to load -- session
>         from (irb):1:in `require'
>         from (irb):1
>  irb(main):002:0>

With gems you need to

     require 'rubygems'

before

     require 'session'

for some reason.
I guess the point is, that this way rubygems is able to install a
missing gem.

What I don't like as much is that I have to think whether I installed
something as a gem or not. I'd rather my ruby installation would find a
gem-installed file even without 'require "rubygems"' (although I might
not have the additional service of installing/updating missing and/or
outdated gems during runtime).

Happy rubying

Stephan