--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 02:55:59AM +0900, craig duncan wrote:
> Quoted from ... ruby/gems/1.8/doc/activerecord-1.0.0/rdoc/index.html:
>
> > Active Record ? Object-relation mapping put on rails
> >
> > Active Record connects business objects and database tables . . .
> ^^^^^^
>
> Why does it connect "business" objects? Does this mean it wouldn't be
> able to connect "non-commercial" or "NGO" objects? What about artistic
> objects? Would activerecord be completely useless for a database
> containing info on my personal CD collection?
>
> Please enlighten me as to how something so technologically (not to
> mention ideologically) limiting worked its way into the fundamental
> design of this library.

The business objects doesn't really have anything to do with business in
a commericial context :)

Other terms for the same kind of objects are "domain objects" or "entity
objects". These terms are pretty much standard in OO litterature. Pick
up "Domain Driven Design" by Eric Evans to read more about the "real"
meaning of the terms.

As a related side-note, "Active Record" is a design pattern coined by
Martin Fowler (afaik anyway) that describes /how/ these business objects
are mapped to relation table data. An alternative design pattern is Data
Mapper (also coined by Mr Fowler).

HTH //Anders

. Anders Engströí         aengstrom / gnejs.net
. http://www.gnejs.net    PGP-Key: ED010E7F
. [Your mind is like an umbrella. It doesn't work unless you open it.]

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2--