trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:
> I'm not claiming to be a mathematical expert. I have a fair grasp of many
> concepts including floating-point arithmetic --but it's certainly not
> perfect. I simply _believe_ that it can be done. That's my opinion, I may be
> wrong, but I may also be right. You can have your opinion as well. But please
> do not belittle my _attempt_. At least I'm trying a better world. An
> introductory Computer Programming course in 1969 is certainly not the last
> word on such matters.

No, the last word was J. H. Wilkinson, "Rounding Errors in Algebraic
Processes", 1963. :-)

Look, T., no one's disrespecting you. But this particular problem has
been in the crosshairs of some very deep experts for 40 years. If you
want to try to beat them, be my guest. But don't claim that the
problem's been neglected, or that we don't understand how serious it is,
or that the prevailing industry standard is behind the times. There's a
lot of wisdom behind the way things are.

Steve