Austin Ziegler wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:57:15 +0900, David Ross <dross / code-exec.net> wrote:
>

>><>Oh, Thanks Mikael, I'm not great with sound recognition. I asked
>>others on irc and they had no idea what it meant. I've to disagree about
>>them being in the trash though. Chad lied, thats worse than arguing. He
>>lied about having a RBL, and he lied about the 0%.
>>

>There is no evidence that Chad lied. You're pretending that RBLs are ideal
>solutions. As I've told you before, they're not. There are various RBLs to
>query -- and you don't know what list(s) that Chad is/was querying (nor does it
>*matter*). New ones appear regularly, old ones disappear regularly. Various
>RBLs have varying political policies (such as the list you mentioned that
>blocks all dynamic IPs) that make them inappropriate. RBLs must be managed as
>often as not. When Ruwiki supports RBL querying, the RBL will be disabled
>unless you have three RBLs that you query and then it requires a majority vote
>between the RBLs.

Yes, there is which I pasted below. He said he used blask listing. Even
some of the IPs listed in RubyGarden were on some of the best RBL
servers out there on the net.
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/118249
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/117680

RBLs are part of a good solution. What you are getting confused with one
of dsbl's servers called the dup list. The list I *never* will recommend
nor use. RBLs don't block dynamic IP ranges like you are thinking. I
tried to explain this on IRC, but failed because I can't explain well
unless I take much time doing so.. So, no. The RBL/DSBLs are appropriate
to use for the wiki application.

 > New ones appear regularly, old ones disappear regularly.
Which is why there are special checks performed to eliminate any..
inconsistancies in the RBL/or DSBL's databases.

 >political policies

Sure.. for instance.. one of the BL servers has a list dedicated to
people who attack them by sendnig spam, which I never use asa well. The
Blacklist services out there are not going to be against people, because
no one would use them. Also, in dsbl if you do and you are a trusted
user you get your account pulled.

>Frankly, I'm far more willing to believe Chad on this than I'd ever believe
>you, because you're not necessarily querying the RBLs that Chad is querying --
>and you're not necessarily querying it at the same time that RubyGarden's wiki
>was doing so.

The IP that James Britt submitted to R-T, one of the first posts talked
about spam, listed an IP that was listed in the Single Hop, which is
tested by trusted users. Very good source of blocking, and I might
recieve 1 spam a week. It includes open proxies etc.

>>I don't care if I look like a bad guy on this one, becasue I just plainly
>>don't care, but I am 100% right.
>>

>No, you're not. Even if you had a 5% chance of being right, your attitude has
>made you 1000% wrong. You want to do something with it? Start your own Ruby
>wiki website and run it according to the policies that you prefer. And listen
>to the crickets.

Attitude doesn't make the results right or wrong. The information proves
the credibility of the result.

>>I spent an hour checking spammer IPs on RubyGarden, it would certainly get
>>over 80%, and the people who spammed from hosts not listed were mostly
>>proxies (common and elite ports) or gone by the time I checked them from
>>being Dynamic IP adrresses. Sorry you feel that way about the truth, not many
>>people can have deep knowledge in security or have the experience.
>>

>And you obviously have neither the knowledge nor the experience. RBLs aren't
>even acknowledged as a 100% solution by the people who run them. What makes you
>think that you know better?

Right.. thats why I must have been confused when I was first in
computers until I learned about ethics and law. Yes, it will  part of a
solution, the other part is having something scan the host for known
ports. What makes me better.. well you see I've the experience from
being confused, I'm just glad I was taught ethics before I turned evil.

>-austin

David Ross
--
Hazzle free packages for Ruby?