David Ross <dross / code-exec.net> writes:

> Mikael Brockman wrote:
>
> >David Ross <dross / code-exec.net> writes:

> >>/me blinks
> >>
> >>what does "PLONK" mean?
> >>
> > <>
> > Well, metaphorically, it means dumping your hostile allegations against
> > the provider of a free service where it rightfully belongs: the trash.
> > Technically, it means you're killfiled.
> >

> <>Oh, Thanks Mikael, I'm not great with sound recognition. I asked
> others on irc and they had no idea what it meant. I've to disagree
> about them being in the trash though. Chad lied, thats worse than
> arguing. He lied about having a RBL, and he lied about the 0%. I don't
> care if I look like a bad guy on this one, becasue I just plainly
> don't care, but I am 100% right. I spent an hour checking spammer IPs
> on RubyGarden, it would certainly get over 80%, and the people who
> spammed from hosts not listed were mostly proxies(common and elite
> ports) or gone by the time I checked them from being Dynamic IP
> adrresses. Sorry you feel that way about the truth, not many people
> can have deep knowledge in security or have the experience. Laters,

You say you can't escape your habit of rudeness.  Here's a simple
procedure.  You can write it on a post-in note and stick it to your
monitor.

Before sending a message, read it over and answer these questions:

 - Is the ostensible point of my message to help or to slander?

 - Is it possible that I am assuming the worst?

 - Is there a way to change my message so that the consequences will
   smell less of sulphur and more of actual improvement?

If I were to apply this procedure to your mail, I'd come up with
something like this:

| Oh, thanks Mikael, I'm not great with sound recognition.  I asked
| others on IRC and they had no idea what it meant.  I've to disagree
| about them being in the trash though.
|
| Chad was using an RBL, but I spent an hour checking spammer IPs on
| RubyGarden, and it looks like something wasn't set up properly,
| because most of the spam I saw would have been caught by a good RBL.
| If you want to continue down the RBL road -- and I think that'd be a
| good idea, because [reasons here] -- I'd be happy to help.
|
| Laters,

That's better, because it still conveys all pertinent information, but
avoids looking like an attempt at slander, tries not to assume bad
things, and isn't likely to be followed up with a long thread of flames.

Please try it.  You seem to know stuff about spam prevention.  That
stuff would be a lot more helpful if provided in a friendly package.