On Friday 29 October 2004 05:23 am, Yohanes Santoso wrote:
| Guillaume Marcais <guslist / free.fr> writes:
| > x = 0.99999... (infinite serie of 9s)
| > 10*x = 9.99999...
| > 10*x - x = 9*x = 9
| > So x = 1!
|
| http://www.math.fau.edu/Richman/html/999.htm
|
| YS.

Nice paper. Thank you. A summary for those who don't have the time:

  "Clearly 0.9* = 1 + 0¯, so 0¯ is a sort of negative infinitesimal. On the
  other hand, you can't solve the equation 0.9* + X = 1 because, ..., the
  sum of a traditional real with any real is a traditional real."

Ironically, that's the second time I've read about -0 since I mentioned the
all so "obscure" idea the other day. The other was in the lastest IEEE
floating point revision --looks like they may support it.

Thanks again,
T.