gabriele renzi wrote:
> nobu.nokada / softhome.net ha scritto:
>

>> Extensions compiled with mingw32 are binary compatible with
>> mswin32 ruby.
>>

> you mean I *should expect* this and report different experiences as a bug?
> Cause I actually had libraries that caused segfaults when compiled with
> mingw and used with the one click installer(I recall that the
> StrongTyping module did this).
> Should I report my problems here, if that happens or is this matter of
> the mingw team?

I haven't used MinGW in a while, but it used to be that it used the same
C runtime (msvcrt) as VC6. I don't know if that is still the case. If it
is, then using it with a extension compiled with VC7+ may cause problems
since the runtime was changed. Using different runtimes can result in
memory be allocated in one runtime and deallocated in another... likely
producing a segfault. Another possible problem would be IO buffering issues.

In general, MinGW and VC are only compatible if they use the same C
Runtime library. Otherwise, expect unexpected behaviour.

Randy.