"Markus" <markus / reality.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:1098884648.21256.896.camel / lapdog.reality.com...
> On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 06:21, Sam Roberts wrote:
>> Quoteing bob.news / gmx.net, on Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 05:04:07PM +0900:
>> >
>> > <markus / reality.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> > news:Pine.LNX.4.44.0410261124520.21866-100000 / plain.rackshack.net...

>> > Um, why not?  Is there a problem with my agreement to what you wrote?
>> > just wanted to add some remarks about the inherent difficulties of this
>> > problem and solution since you didn't mention them explicitely and I
>> > wanted to make sure the OP is aware of them.
>>
>> If somebody isn't familiar with this as a protocol element
>> (ACKnowledged) it sounds like you're puking something up...

Sam, thanks for clearing that up!

>> It might be a very english-speaking-hacker usage.
>>

>       Thank you!  I was even more puzzled by the response, until I saw
> this.  Now all is light.
>
>    ACK /ak/ interj.
>
>        1. [common; from the ASCII mnemonic for 0000110] Acknowledge.
>        Used to register one's presence (compare mainstream _Yo!_).   An
>        appropriate response to ping or ENQ.
>
>        2. [from the comic strip "Bloom County"] An exclamation of
>        surprised disgust, esp. in "Ack pffft!" Semi-humorous. Generally
>        this sense is not spelled in caps (ACK) and is distinguished by
>        a following exclamation point.
>
>         3. Used to politely interrupt someone to tell them you
>        understand their point (see NAK). Thus, for example, you might
>        cut off an overly long explanation with "Ack. Ack. Ack. I get it
>        now".
>
>        4. An affirmative. "Think we ought to ditch that damn NT server
>        for a Linux box?" "ACK!"
>
>     He was meaning 3) or 4) but I was hearing 2).  Thanks.

ACK, err, yep, I meant 4. :-)  I wasn't aware that it could be misunderstood
as 2 in this context as I thought it's so widely used among IT folks as
short for "ackknowledge".

Btw, do you know "Bloom County"?  IMHO a great piece of cartoon artwork.
Too sad, it's not continued.  But then again, it's probably quite 80ies and
doesn't fit so well today.  Although I'd guess Berke Breathed would have to
say some things about the current US government...

Kind regards

    robert