On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 06:21, Sam Roberts wrote:
> Quoteing bob.news / gmx.net, on Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 05:04:07PM +0900:
> >
> > <markus / reality.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > news:Pine.LNX.4.44.0410261124520.21866-100000 / plain.rackshack.net...
> >
> > >      Why ACK?
> >
> > Um, why not?  Is there a problem with my agreement to what you wrote?  I
> > just wanted to add some remarks about the inherent difficulties of this
> > problem and solution since you didn't mention them explicitely and I
> > wanted to make sure the OP is aware of them.
>
> If somebody isn't familiar with this as a protocol element
> (ACKnowledged) it sounds like you're puking something up...
>
> It might be a very english-speaking-hacker usage.

       Thank you!  I was even more puzzled by the response, until I saw
this.  Now all is light.

    ACK /ak/ interj.

        1. [common; from the ASCII mnemonic for 0000110] Acknowledge.
        Used to register one's presence (compare mainstream _Yo!_).   An
        appropriate response to ping or ENQ.

        2. [from the comic strip "Bloom County"] An exclamation of
        surprised disgust, esp. in "Ack pffft!" Semi-humorous. Generally
        this sense is not spelled in caps (ACK) and is distinguished by
        a following exclamation point.

         3. Used to politely interrupt someone to tell them you
        understand their point (see NAK). Thus, for example, you might
        cut off an overly long explanation with "Ack. Ack. Ack. I get it
        now".

        4. An affirmative. "Think we ought to ditch that damn NT server
        for a Linux box?" "ACK!"

     He was meaning 3) or 4) but I was hearing 2).  Thanks.

                 -- Markus