On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 08:42:05AM +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 9:18:25 AM, Mauricio wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 06:13:14AM +0900, Michael Neumann wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> When I want to return from an irb session caused by a breakpoint, and
> >> use "exit", this exits the complete application. And debug_return is not
> >> defined (as described in the documentation).
> >>
> >>   require 'dev-utils/debug'
> >>   p "a"
> >>   breakpoint
> >>   p "b"
> >>
> >> This only prints "a".
> >>
> >> The only working way is to use trow :debug_return.
> >>
> >> I am using dev-utils (1.0.1-1) from rpa and ruby-1.8.2.
>
> > You have to use ^d; as documented at
> > http://dev-utils.rubyforge.org/DebuggingAids.html. It will consider
> > adding that documentation to the RPA port.
>
> Michael, is there any way I can make that documentation clearer?  Is
> there any alterantive functionality you suggest?  What about somehow
> forcing 'exit' to only exit IRB?  (Then 'exit!' could quit
> altogether.)

No the documentation is great, really!

Maybe you could put a comment (how to exit from an irb session) next to
the breakpoint example of the start page: http://dev-utils.rubyforge.org/
I looked there before I found the much longer DebuggingAids.html page.

Hm, I think the "exit" behaviour as it is currently, is okay. Maybe a
"help" method would help? (prints infos about "iv, lv and ^D").

Thanks to all.

Regards,

  Michael