On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Hal Fulton wrote:

> nobu.nokada / softhome.net wrote:
> >
> > Well, 2,097,151 lines are enough?
> >

> :)  Quite enough for now.
>
> [snip patch]
>
> Forgive me, I am largely ignorant of the interpreter
> internals.
>
> What are the implications of this patch? What happens
> to per-object memory and overall speed?

     I don't understand all the details myself (see my previous post on
this thread) but it looks like it adds a few hundred bytes of code and
about 1/50 of a bit (on average, of course) per line of ruby source.  So,
almost no impact.  I think it may be possible to do even better--maybe
half as much code and a tenth as much space per line (again, see my
addresses that the other idea wouldn't, and I'm not sure the difference is
worth worrying about in any case.

    -- Markus