Ruby Noob wrote:
> An unmodified ruby script stopped working after I upgraded to the latest
> Ruby 1.8.2 stable snapshot (2004-10-25).
>
> WHAT CHANGED:
> a.  upgraded few weeks old stable snapshot to Ruby 1.8.2 2004-10-25
> b.  upgraded mod_ruby to 1.2.4
>     (reverting to old version of mod_ruby did not fix problem)
>
> WHAT DID NOT CHANGE:
> a.  httpd.conf and ruby.conf (timestamps are months old)
> b.  my *.rbx and *.rb (timestamps are months old)
>
> ERROR MESSAGE:
> error msg: /var/www/ruby/myip.rbx:14: undefined method `sign_msg' for
> main:Object (NoMethodError)
>   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:53:in `load'
>   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:53:in `handler'
>
> DETAILS:
> The script myip.rbx worked fine before upgrading Ruby to latest stable
> snapshot.  The older version of Ruby was only a few weeks old.
>
> myip.rbx uses a "require" command to load the .rb file containing the
> sign_msg() method.  Both scripts have been unmodified for many months.
>
> The .rb file is in a different directory from myip.rbx (same place it
> has been for months).  The directory is in "RubyAddPath" setting in
> ruby.conf which is included by httpd.conf.
>
> Again, not sure why upgrading to latest ruby broke this.  It has been
> working fine for months.  And the ruby version replaced was only a few
> weeks old.
>
> SYSTEM:
> i686-linux (RedHat AS3)
> Apache 2.0.46
> Ruby 1.8.2 (2004-10-25) [i686-linux]
> mod_ruby 1.2.4

I found yet another script that broke.  This time, the script is a very
simple .rhtml file and the following error occurs:

error msg: (eval): (eval): uninitialized constant Apache::ERubyRun
(NameError)
   from (eval):0:in `value'

I fixed it by modifying ruby.conf to add:

   "RubyRequire apache/eruby-run"

But it worked fine without this fix in the past.  Is this a bug with the
  latest ruby stable snapshot or is this a known compatibility change we
need to live with?