On Oct 25, 2004, at 11:55 PM, Aredridel wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:43:09 +0900, Francis Hwang <sera / fhwang.net>
> wrote:
>> Well, in my case I wanted to compare two different RSS 2.0 feeds.
>> Which
>> doesn't seem to have a DTD, harrumph. I'll be quite happy when we all
>> move to Atom ...
>
> Ah, yes -- atom or RSS 1.0 (for comparison, RSS 1.0 would be even
> nicer)
>
> What sort of interface would you want to compare RSS data? A list of
> things that have changed since a previous run? A highlighted list? An
> XML sort of patch? Would you want it at the API level, or a textually
> annotated set of changes?

What I was doing was refactoring some RSS code that didn't have enough
tests, so I wanted to compare pretty much every element of the
resulting RSS. I ended up just eyeballing it in an aggregator, which
seems to have worked out okay but still wasn't ideal.

I'd want a pretty granular comparison, and at the API level would be
ideal. I don't mind having to do a little work to format the changes
into readable output. Also, maybe having API-level information would
make it easier for me to filter out certain differences.

F.