trans. (T. Onoma) wrote

> No no. You misunderstand me. I fully agree. I have already
> offered to do it
> myself, in fact. But if I'm doing it, I may as well go ahead and
> do something
> that I know will hold the fort --it's not that much more trouble. I fear
> Garden has some intent spammers. I looked at this poor man's
> captcha system
> and it can be hacked in about 3 seconds. So something better is
> needed. No
> sense in doing something twice when it can be done the first time.
>
> But like I said, I don't know what the hold up is either. There
> are a couple
> of clear choices that will help lots --even full moderation would
> be better
> the current situation.

If I'm not mistaken, RubyGarden is a UseMod wiki. If so I would recommend getting Jim Weirich's UseMod patch that simply rejects external links with a lower-case http (i.e., requires HTTP://<some-url-here>).

Since Jim already did the development work, it could be up and working in less than an hour and it will put an immediate stop to the spam (it has on my 5 RubyForge wikis). It may not last forever, but it will certainly stop the spam long enough to get something else in place.

If you want to see it in action go here and try inserting a lowercase url:

   http://installer.rubyforge.org/

Curt

PS
  I guess you can't try the above link at this very moment, as RubyForge is giving me server errors. I'll let Tom know about this... you can try it later.