On Sunday 24 October 2004 09:36 am, trans.  (T. Onoma) wrote:
> I agree and CAPTCHA was my first suggestion. But the general take seemed to
> be against it, siting reasons of use and implementation, and that spammers
> would just find a way around it. I'm not so sure about these points, but
> nonetheless pre-moderating pages with new external links is simple enough
> and 100% effective.

I am trying an experiment on my wikis (UseMod based) where I require all
external links to be written HTTP://host/yada rather than http://host/yada.
Any page with a lower case http link is rejected (with a message directing
the user to an explaination).  The patch to usemod effected only a few lines
of code.  And although the measure is simple to circumvent, it has cut down
spam on my wikis to about one incident a week.  I believe Tom has implemented
this patch on some (all?) the rubyforge project wikis with some success as
well.

-- Jim Weirich