On Sunday 24 October 2004 02:44 am, Phlip wrote:
| trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:
| > ...So much so that I now declaring
| > my intent to FIX IT.
|
| Look up "reverse Turing test". You could write one in Java in about 6
| hours, or one in Ruby in 15 minutes.

No. Motivated spammers will always find a way around these things. A REAL
Turing test --a human being, is effective and works. We can no longer afford
to play games.

| > The plan is simple: any revision that adds an external
| > link will be denied --or perhaps better, honeypotted.
|
| I don't like that, because I add links-out to my other sites all the time.

But that's EXACTLY what we don't want! Do us a favor, make a single link to
your own page and add all the links you want to that.

I'm truly sorry. But we must do something about this if the Garden Wiki is to
remain a viable resource. I for one have already stopped using it b/c of this
spam problem. And I am sure others have done likewise. Not to mention the
number of man hours that have been wasted in fighting this.

I am truly sorry if this inconveniences you, but its the sacrifice we all need
to make if we wish to continue to have such a great resource.

T.