On Thursday, October 21, 2004, 11:04:00 PM, James wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2004, at 12:37 AM, James Britt wrote:

>> The API docs on ruby-doc come from the Ruby source code by way of RDoc.
>> Hence, if the author of a piece of code opted not to document the code
>> using inline rdoc comments, and no one else has stepped up to take on
>> the task, then no docs appear.
>>
>> So, if anyone has docs for this, and cares to offer them to be placed
>> in the source code, please speak up.  Or, if they are not really
>> suitable to become part of the source, then can be hosted at ruby-doc
>> as stand-alone documentation.

> I've been thinking about helping with some of these modules that still
> need documentation.  Pretend I'm clueless ('cause I usually am) and
> outline the process for me, if you would.

> Should I just put documentation in plain text files or embed them in a
> copy of the ruby source?  Who should I send these changes to?  Anything
> else I should know?

In most cases, you should use RDoc formatting in the Ruby or C source
code, following the examples of some that are already done.  I am an
appropriate person to send the patches to (or just the whole files).
Another useful point of contact is ruby-doc / ruby-lang.org (mailing
list).

You should work against Ruby's CVS, in general the ruby_1_8 branch.
To get started:

  cd ~/Projects      # That's my directory, you choose yours.

  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous / cvs.ruby-lang.org:/src login
  (Just hit ENTER when prompted for password)

  cvs -z4 -d :pserver:anonymous / cvs.ruby-lang.org:/src co -r ruby_1_8 ruby18

The stuff you want to look at documenting is in ruby18/{ext,lib}.

I welcome specific questions, privately or publicly, and will eagerly
work with you.

Cheers,
Gavin