Hi --

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Bryan Zarnett wrote:

> Is there anyone copying some of Dave's responses into
> the cookbook on the Garden (if Dave does not mind).
> Everytime he responds I have to go back and change my
> code somewhere (thanxs Dave).
>
> I definitly think things like:
>
> command =
> /#{@pre}\s*(.*?)\s*#{@post}$/s.match(part)[1]
>
> and
>
> DEBUG && !yield && raise('assertion failed')
>
> and
>
> class Class
>     def double(single, double)
>       class_eval %{
>         def #{double}(*args)
>           #{single}(*args)
>           #{single}(*args)
>         end
>       }
>     end
> end

A couple o' things:

1. The Dav* who wrote the first example (me) is not the same as the
Dav* who wrote the second and third examples (Dave Thomas).

2. I've already posted a supposed improvement to the regex example,
because the above raises an exception if the match fails.  I don't
like my improvement, however, so here's another improvement:

  command = /#{@pre}\s*(.*?)\s*#{@post}$/s.match(part) && $1
  if command...

My instinct tells me that there's probably a better/nicer way I'm not
thinking of.  That instinct is rarely wrong.  But I digress.

3. I *think* I prefer the idea of people putting their own stuff
in the various cookbooks and gardens.  But I'm not sure.  I guess
if it's here, it might as well be there.  (Exactly what "there"
means is a slightly vexed issue, but I'll leave that to the side
for the moment.)

4. In spite of Dave T.'s remark that one can't make a living from
the "Programming Ruby" royalties, I'd be grateful if you could
contact both our publishers and get them to send me his check
instead of mine :-)

David (thinking of changing his name to Mrs. Emma Peel)

--
David Alan Black (the media scholar, not the New Testament scholar)
                 (yes, there really is one of each)