On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, benny wrote:

> [path setting discussion]
>
> since all used commands are with full path names there should be no missing
> environment effect.

Session::Bash will start 'bash' and this is searched for using PATH.

you could change this with

   Session::Bash::DEFAULT_PROG.replace '/bin/bash'

> when I started the services I started them as root (toor: root with bash as
> shell). I  also changed the default shell of root to the bash: no
> difference. so its exactly as I said: the same script under the same user
> with the same (but irrelevant) environment, when automatically started: no
> sub-shell command where executed, when started by hand: no problem

if 'bash' was not found in the path no session would actually be started.
also, the commands run via session will use PATH inherited.

how about other issues - for example if this is automatically started is the
network up when it's started?

i have tried this in my crontab

   * * * * * /dmsp/reference/bin/ruby -r session -e 'print((Session::new.execute("echo 42")).first)' >/home/ahoward/out

and it works fine.  eg. there seems to be no environment issues.

sorry i haven't been of more help... very busy today - more later...

> BTW using /bin/echo instead of echo in the one script that didn't work at
> all with Session:Bash didn't make any difference

makes sense.

-a