I am but a new convert here (coming from many languages, but loving
Perl most) ... so anyhow, first post for me.

One of the thing that draws me deeper into Ruby is the ability to
completely muck with the internals of the language, more so even than
Perl (where symbol table manipulation, for instance, was common).
Rewriting builtins or other modules via included modules is more
automagical than what Java-fans would push on us with AOP (shudder) or
reflection.   And it's totally transparent.   Nice!

If this means we can have supernatural parks where sandwiches turn
into were-sheep, I'm all for it.   Sometimes people want languages
that keep themselves from shooting themselves in the foot, and keep
poor programmers from doing damage.   Ruby is not that language, and
that's why I like it.

(now if we could only get something as good as CPAN in the core...but
that's another story...)