Markus wrote:

>      If I decide to lunch in the park, taking my sandwich and bag of
> assorted goodies to the shade of a likely tree, I may not, even in this
> idyllic environment, find everything to my liking.  I could, of course,
> suffer silently.  Or I could decide to change what fails to suit.
The difference between the expectations of programmers with respect to the
Java programming language design and Ruby, is is that ruby programmers are
expected to know what they're doing, and Java programmers are assumed to be
'just average'.

For instance, Java doesn't have operator methods because bad programmers
might misuse them. Well thanks guys! Or they crippled anonymous classes as
closures because it 'allocated too much stuff on the heap behind the
scenes'. Again thanks guys.

With Java you are not allowed to add exotic pickles to your sandwich, let
alone rearrange the park. Although I would personally like to ban brocolli
in sandwiches altogether, as a ruby programmer, that isn't how we operate.
With Java programming, xml configuration files everywhere are probably the
equivalent of brocolli. You are allowed to produce you own personal
mediocre sandwich in the same style as other people, but are totally banned
from having any say in sorting out the aesthetics of the park.

-- Richard