> >      Why the rabid objection to people putting broccoli on their
> > sandwiches if they like it?
>
> Because people are putting sandwitches everywhere, and a lot of us are
> forced to eat other people's for a variety of reasons.

     But this is exactly the point I don't get.  Who is forcing you?  Do
they have a gun?  If I write something you find distasteful, and even
post it on the web, are you required to use it?  Even if millions of
others like it a start to use it, you don't have to if you don't want
to.

> Many of us are working with a lot of open source code here; we end up
> working with code from a lot of other authors, and any feature that
> makes that code harder for us to comprehend witll get in the way.

     So don't work with code that you find to hard to deal with.  One of
the fundamental tenants of Open Source (at least, as I see it) is that
you are never required to use someone else's code if you don't like it.
Maybe you don't trust it, or them, or think it's bloat, or buggy, or
just don't like their choice of identifiers.  Whatever the reason, you
are free to decline to use it if you'd rather not.

     -- Markus