On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 03:55:31 +0900, Mohammad Khan <mkhan / lextranet.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 14:40, Bill Atkins wrote:

> How about this?
> If you reply with "Unsubscribe Thread" at the first line of Body, would
> unsubscribe you from the thread !!

Unfortunately, there are two problems with this:

(1) this would massively increase the workload of the mailing list
server, having to keep track of individual client preferences; it's
worse because there are people subscribed from more than one location
(as I was, for a while), because then you either have to coordinate
these or have even more workload.

(2) there is no standard definition of "thread". Is it subject-based
(common, but sometimes wrong), message-ID based (very common, but also
occasionally wrong or misused -- and some mail agents don't actually
do what they should do with this).

This is properly a client-side issue.

-austin
--