Hi all,

It's been a long time since I tried to install Ruby from source, but my
distribution of choice (gentoo) doesn't seem to have up-to-date 'ri'
packages, I thought I'd try the source install.

I did ./configure, and that worked fine, but then I got stumped.

The instructions say to edit "ext/Setup" to figure out what extensions
to use.  When I look in that directory, I do indeed see a "Setup" file,
where everything is commented out.  However, I also see a number of
other Setup files, like Setup.atheos, Setup.nt and Setup.x68.

The documentation doesn't mention these.  Are they actually used, or are
they templates you can use as a base to create your own Setup file?
Also, is it supposed to be x68 or is that an x86 with a typo?

It also seems odd to me that ext/Setup has so much commented out.  I'd
think that at least Socket would be uncommented, since so much of Ruby
assumes you have a working socket library.  Is there any reason that so
many things are commented out?

 From poking around the makefile, there's an "install-doc" target that
seems to generate the rdoc documentation.  There's also an "install"
target that simply does "install-nodoc".  However, I'm confused because
"install-doc" doesn't do the install *and* install the documentation, it
only installs the documentation, "install" or "install-nodoc" do the
actual installation of Ruby.  Nothing in the README mentions the
"install-doc" target, nor is it (or ri for that matter) mentioned in any
of the pages I hit leading up to downloading and installing Ruby.  Is
this just an oversight?

I want a fully-functional Ruby installation, with full documentation,
and all the useful extensions... so am I right that I should:

* uncomment nearly everything in ext/Setup
* make, sudo make install, sudo make install-doc

Ben