> I simply get touchy when people start suggesting that perhaps Ruby ought
> to adopt such a style.

     No one that (I heard) suggested such a thing.  We were talking
about how one might use the information implicit in people's normal
indentation style (whatever they choose) to guess the location of a
missing 'end'--which the present compiler typically reports as a 'parse
error' at the end of the file.

     For what it's worth, I have an experimental patch (yes, in fact I
am a glutton for punishment) that does very well at finding ends I've
deleted from arbitrary ruby code.  It doesn't rely on any particular
indentation style (it would "work" even if you indented at random, but
it's hints would likely be no more helpful than the present message) and
doesn't do anything if there are no missing ends.

     If you are interested, it can be found via

 http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/ruby/ruby-core/3486

Note that it doesn't impose anything on anybody.  All it does is add a
few possibly helpful line numbers to an otherwise terse error message.

> My apologies if I ruffled any feathers.

     No worries.  I'm just trying to dampen the extreme polarization
that seems to happen when people react to an excerpt from a more
involved discussion.

-- Markus