On 10/10/2004 10:01 AM, trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:
> Know what noise is? Another word for static. Know what static is? Something
> that never changes. You know what something that never changes is?

S T A B L E

D E P E N D A B L E

C O M P A T I B L E

Like standards based languages: C, C++, Ada, etc.

Actually, this is the wrong argument. I don't think anyone is against
change. But some of us feel that there are some potential problems or
dangers associated with this particular change.

A long time ago I was reading one of Bjarne Stroustrup's books or on his
website where he proposed user defined operators. At the time I was
excited about it and looked forward to it. Unicode provides lots of neat
symbols that would make meaningful operators. If this patch allowed
that, I might be more inclined to agree with it. But that's the heart of
the problem: assigning meaning to an arbitrary combination of symbols
makes the resulting code hard to interpret. Among the objections listed,
I think this is the hardest to overcome. Some have compared operators to
methods, but that comparison doesn't really hold. IMO the only
comparison there is if you used method names like 'sdkjfo' - arbitrary
combinations of characters with no inherant semantics.

Regards,
Randy.