On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 07:56:54AM +0900, David Ross wrote:
> I seriously don't see why people are wanting to recreate the wheel, its
> not even being recreated in C. I was looking at all the VMs people were
> working on, which most are being built on top of another VM. This is
> very wasteful. I can see if they were creating a project because of the
> license, or perhaps the code was really bad. These projects are getting
> to be really halarious to me.

well neither of the two projects that appear
to be making the most progress fast are based
on a preexisting vm - yarv and my own project
of course :P

not sure i understand what you mean by recreate
the wheel. there is no overlap between the current
set of ruby vm projects that i can see.

some target .net for interoperability reasons,
one parrot for the same reasons (i hope / think),
and the remaining two that i know of (not sure how
bytecoderuby is going admittedly?) are two *very*
different approaches.

sorry, but i just don't see any wheel thats being
recreated, however, i do see recreation on a
wheel that is in dire need of being spun...

cheers,
Alex