Phil Tomson wrote:
> Since it's for Tycho, wouldn't it be better to have a Ruby implementation
> (or Ruby with an extention of some sort) so you don't have to rely on
> having Java installed as well?

I agree. Hal, drop what you're doing and write a Ruby implementation,
would ya? ;) Seriously, though, a Ruby implementation would be a more
generally-desirable solution, anyway.

> Also, maybe there are easier ways of acheiving a similar effect to this
> hyperbolic view (which does seem fairly compute intensive)?  For example,
> couldn't you just view a variable number of levels from the center of your
> tree view (so when you zoom in, you get more levels and when you zoom out
> you get less)?
>
> Sure it sounds cool, but I'm just not sure that the hyperbolic view adds
> that much advantage for a user interface...  There's probably an easier
> way.

It not only sounds cool, it *is* cool. I've used an interface that used
a hyperbolic tree, and it is *really* slick. I think it would be great
to have something like that in Tycho.

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3 / email.byu.edu