Markus wrote:

> You could just modify the definition of FTP.getbinaryfile (either by
> modifying the source or overriding it in your code) like so:

[snip code]

> And that should do what you want.  If this is something you will be
> using for a while, I'd suggest negotiating/propagating the change to the
> appropriate maintainers, so you don't have to revisit the fix every time
> you upgrade.

Hi!

To be honest, I do not have a real use for it at all. I stumbled over it
while trying to hack a download progress display into gems. I simply
wondered if my code worked for ftp downloads, too. So, if I understand
this correctly, as soon as somebody starts to publish gems per anonymous
ftp, some of us windows users are in for a surprise, because gems uses
open-uri like I did in my example.

Given my track record, it's perfectly possible that I misunderstand
something here tho.

regards,
Henrik