On Oct 8, 2004, at 4:53 PM, Chad Fowler wrote:
> We'd love to hear other suggestions from the attendees of this
> conference or those of past years.  FWIW, I think Ruby is either
> blessed or Ruby has blessed us.

I already wrote some of these in 3rd day blog entry (
http://fhwang.net/blog/37.html ) but I'll put 'em here for the sake of
discussion:

+ Rob McKinnon had started a rubygarden page where people could post
info about themselves, but I don't think it was well-publicized enough
or used enough. Next year I'd also encourage people to post their own
photos of themselves so you could recognize them by looking at their
face instead of search for the name tag.
+ Also, if the name tags could have pins at the back instead of being
hung from a strap, that might be better. I felt a little self-conscious
looking at everybody's stomachs.
+ This is probably far-fetched, but if we can find somebody to serve as
an informal translator for our Japanese guests, that would be just
amazing. Maybe a deal where somebody who can speak Japanese and
English, and agrees to serve as their wingman for most of the event
(esp. for any talks), in exchange for getting some or all of their
admission fee discounted? It would encourage western Rubyists to learn
Japanese, at least.
+ Depending on how big things get next year, and if there's one track
or two, it might be a good idea to have a little time set aside for
last-minute talks. I could think of a few last-minute talks I would've
demanded last weekend, if I'd had the option ;)

These are small points, though. The WiFi and power supply were major
improvements over last year, and you can't beat the people. It's the
most inspiring tech conference I go to, and I suspect it will stay that
way for some while.

F.