On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 05:16:05 +0900, Bil Kleb <bil.kleb / nasa.gov> wrote:
> I thought I'd wait until the honeymoon feeling died down a bit..
>
> But my reaction is still strong: I came away really impressed with
> everyone I encountered.
>
> I have always felt a bit like an outsider in this community, but I
> now realize that what I have been feeling is more along the lines
> of "out classed".  :)
>
> I have now witnessed the orders of magnitude difference in skills
> that Brooks wrote about in Mythical Man Month.  I think I'm about
> in the middle.  I've experienced the lower tier and now I've witnessed
> the upper tier.  Thanks for making me feel welcome even though
> my packet loss is ~80%.
>
> Little conference tweaks I would suggest for next time:
>
>  at least for the first day, have everyone /always/ introduce themselves
>   before speaking (whether lecturing or questioning), e.g., "Bil Kleb,
>   Aero Engineer, NASA" so everyone can associate names and faces
>
>  use a larger font on a two-sided name tag (front and back containing
>   the same data), and optionally room for the person's online handle
>
>  inject some more fresh fruit into the food chain
>
> Are there other conferences like this?  I.e., where all the world's best
> programmers hang out, or is Ruby blessed?
>
> --
> Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia

Bil, thanks for the comments and suggestions!  We're taking notes.  I
like to think the conference gets better every year.  Comments like
these definitely help.

We'd love to hear other suggestions from the attendees of this
conference or those of past years.  FWIW, I think Ruby is either
blessed or Ruby has blessed us.

Thanks,
Chad