On Oct 8, 2004, at 8:37 AM, David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:

>> Technically I don't think an MVC framework should choose an unrelated
>> technology for you like that. Does Rails allow you to swap out
>> something in place of ActiveRecords? I have very limited experience
>> with rails (I've gone through the basics of the installation and
>> tutorial only).
>
> Sure it does. Instiki uses a Madeleine back-end and is hooked up with
> an older version of Action Pack.

That's good to know. Whatever Madeleine is. : ) I am a nuby.

> But I really disagree with the "those an unrelated technology" theme
> in regards to Rails. I actually think the biggest asset of Rails is
> that it _does_ chose a full tech stack for you. Who wants to program
> control-flows? I want to create web-applications.
>
> So in that sense Rails is more focused on the goal (a web-application)
> than the means (just control-flow or just ORM).

I think this is good, too. By "choose", I meant "force you to use", not
"provide a default option". I was just wondering whether Rails made it
difficult to swap out parts of your stack if you happened to prefer
another library for ORM or whatever, which I think a framework should
allow you to do. It sounds like Rails doesn't force anything on you, so
that's good.

Moses