All,

We are pleased to announce the first (actually second) release of the Ruby
'dnssd' library (v 0.6.0).  This is a native extension.

This represents a Ruby binding to the DNS Service Discovery API published
and open-sourced by Apple Computer.  This should compile with the source
available from the Darwin project, or on OS X Panther systems.  It will
also compile on Win32 platforms that have installed the Rendezvous for
Windows Technology Preview 2 which can be found here:

  http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous/

There is a project wiki on RubyForge:

  http://dnssd.rubyforge.org

With a developer guide here:

  http://dnssd.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?DeveloperGuide

Some background on DNSSD and MultiCast DNS here:

  http://dnssd.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?DNSSDBackground

And the Rdoc of the 'C' code here:

  http://dnssd.rubyforge.org/doc/index.html

You can download the library here:

  http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=316

The low level APIs are documented and in place...higher level APIs are in
the works as we speak.  A source .gem will follow soon (its a .tar.gz file
right now...for you rpa folks ;-)

Charlie Mills did most of this work...so thanks Charlie!

Best,

Rich Kilmer
Charlie Mills
Chad Fowler
Stuart Cheshire <- DNSSD Architect from Apple!