Mark Hubbart wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 07:39:04 +0900, Markus <markus / reality.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 15:19, Joachim Wuttke wrote:
>>
>>>Thank you, Brian.
>>>This is quite a convincing example: I count not less than eight
>>>places where the "end" could be missing.
>>>Just for curiosity: why didn't Ruby borrow indentation semantics
>>>from Python ?
>>
>>     Now there's an RCR I'd support.  Heck, I'd even volunteer to code
>>it!
>

> That's been hashed and rehashed here before... :) I'm guessing it's
> unlikely. However, just because whitespace (except newlines) is not
> syntactically relevant as far as ruby is concerned, doesn't mean it's
> not syntactically relevant as far as the programmers are concerned.
>
> What if we had a new warning level that checked for proper indentation
> levels? By default, it could check any common indentation methods, so
> one could use tabs, two, three four spaces, whatever; a strict mode
> might check for standard library compatible code formatting.
>
> So you might get this kind of warning:
>
> ------ script.rb ------
>
> #!usr/local/bin/ruby -W3
>
> class Foo
>   def initialize
>     puts "Hello World"
> end
>
> class Bar
>   def initialize
>     puts "Hello Bar"
>   end
> end
>
> % ./script.rb
> script.rb:6: warning: inconsistent indentation level.
> script.rb:13: parse error
>
> This should make it easy to find such errors.
>
> cheers,
> Mark

That seems like a nice idea to me. This would be nearly the same as the
autoindenter so, only that it does not indent but spit out warnings.

In the course I'm giving right now I saw that "missing ends" problems
are the most common problem for the beginners.
(Especially since they had a python course last week ;)

Maybe someone who is writing a ruby-parser will write this and the auto
indenter as a test-script for his parser ;)

Regards,

Brian
--
Brian Schr?der