Austin Ziegler wrote:

> Okay ... both Chad and Rich have misunderstood what I've said.
>
> I want to manage Ruby packages only through Ruby tools. I do not want
> to have fifteen separate installers (and fifteen corresponding entries
> in the Win32 app list). Ideally, the RubyGem Win32 installer will
> provide a way to manage this automagically.
>
> -austin

Hi!

How do other tools/environments do it?

MIKTex for example, a LaTeX distribution for Windows, has one very small
setup file, that allows you to install individual packages. The base
system which includes all major binaries is one, mandatory, package. If
you want to change something or uninstall, you can access the setup prog
from  the Win32 app list or you can start the setup yourself, If you
want more sophisticated GUI tools, start the extra package browser or
package updater (which allows to update the base system as well, since
it is only a package).

I think it's very convenient.

regards,
Henrik