On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:27:08 +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto
<matz / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
 speak.  We are similar to Chinese too. ;-)

> For languages, I've heard that basic syntax is similar.  I know some
> Koreans who have learned to speak Japanese very quickly.  Reading and
> writing is harder because we have totally different writing system.
> I wish natural languages are as easy as programming ones.

Matz, if one wanted to learn just enough Japanese to _barely_
understand what's being discussed on the Japanese mailing lists, which
of the writing systems would be best to start with?  From what our
friends at RubyConf told me, _all_ of them are used all of the time.
Is that true for the mailing list too?

My project for next year is to learn Japanese well enough to skim
through for keywords in the mailing lists (if not more) and to be able
to speak basically to my family in Japan :)

Thanks,
Chad