* Ollivier Robert <roberto / REMOVETHIS.eu.org> [1000 17:00]:
> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:48:15 -0700, Thomas Yager-Madden wrote:
> > Thanks, James and Brian.  I am happy to say I also have now solved my
> > problem by installing readline 5.0 from GNU.org.   I didn't even have
> > to rebuild Ruby; just changed my symlink back in
> > System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/readline.framework/Versions/A/  to
> > point to  /usr/local/lib/libreadline.dylib.
> > Like a charm.  I appreciate the tip, guys.
>
> A different way to do it if you're using DarwinPorts is to install
> lang/ruby from there.  There is a dependency on devel/readline so
> you get readline support when installing Ruby.

For the record - seeing as I was bitching about NetBSD support, I just
found if I untar the ruby 1.8 source and do:

cd <ruby-source-dir>
./configure --enable-shared --enable-pthread --prefix=/usr/local
cd ext/readline
ruby extconf.rb --with-readline-dir=/usr/pkg
cd -
make

then everything hangs together nicely. My guess is /usr/local would be
searched anyway, which explains why /usr/local/lib/libreadline.dylib
might help.