On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 10:06, trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 October 2004 06:16 am, Brian Candler wrote:
> | (FWIW, these ranges annoy me: firstly because they're not ranges, and
> | secondly because I can never remember the difference between a[2..4] versus
> | a[2,4], and I write a[2,-1] when I should write a[2..-1]. I have to make
> | test cases in irb every time!)
>
> Agreed. I doubt they are ever used. I don't even consider them. Obfuscation
> pure and simple.

     You're joking, right?  In the past week we've seen on this very
list ardent defense of pretty much every permutation on this theme.  For
that matter, look back through the quiz solutions; some people think in
start..end, others in start...end, and still others in start,length;
there are many cases where being able to treat an array as a circular
structure greatly simplifies the code, as does being able to concisely
reference its end.

     I'm not saying the syntax is perfect, but that the semantics gets
used every day.

      -- Markus