On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 02:04:49PM +0900, Mark Probert wrote:

> Hi ..
>

> I would like to suggest that Socket trap ETIMEDOUT and raise Timeout::Error
> when a socket timeout occurs.

I would oppose that.

These are two different error conditions: one is a socket error from the
kernel (the stack has failed to open a TCP connection), and the other is a
user-defined timeout. I'd certainly want to be able to distinguish them.

> This would allow the following:
>
>    begin
>      Timeout::timeout(to) do
>          t = TCPSocket.new(host,port)
>                #
>                # do socket stuff
>                #
>          t.close
>       end
>    rescue Timeout::Error => e
>       p "Timeout --> #{e}"
>    rescue Exception => e
>         p "Exception --> #{e}"
>    end
>
> Rather than having a separate rescue clause.
>
> Any thoughts?

Assyming you want both types of exception to hit the "Timeout --> #{e}"
line, then all you need to do is

   rescue Timeout::Error, Errno::ETIMEDOUT => e
      p "Timeout --> #{e}"

Regards,

Brian.