Hello,

On Tuesday, September 28, 2004, at 07:14  PM, Patrick May wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Tuesday, September 28, 2004, at 12:39  AM, David Ross wrote:
>
>> You should create a way to generate images with text
>> verification. This would eliminate spam.
>
> The only way to stop wiki spam is to have a dedicated admin.
> Creativity helps reduce the time burden, but it is a constant > endeavor.
>
> A tarpit would be easier to implement than a captcha.  In the usemod
> settings, you use NetAddr::IP to check if the env's Remote Addr is
> within a known spammer domain.  If it is a spammer, set the pages
> database to a copy.  Nightly / weekly / whatever, dump the latest
> pages directory on top of the tarpit.

I threw together tarpit logic for usemod:

# == Configuration ====================================
use NetAddr::IP;
use vars qw( $TarpitDir $VandalFile );

$DataDir     = "/tmp/mywikidb"; # Main wiki directory
$TarpitDir   = "/tmp/tarpitdb"; # tarpit dir
$VandalFile  = "/Users/patsplat/Desktop/usemod10/vandals.txt";

open(SOURCE, "< $VandalFile")
     or die "Couldn't open $VandalFile for reading: $!\n";
my $remote_addr = new NetAddr::IP $ENV{"REMOTE_ADDR"};
while(<SOURCE>) {
     my $vandal_host = new NetAddr::IP $_;
     if ( $remote_addr->within( $vandal_host ) ) {
	$DataDir = $TarpitDir;
     }
}

Cheers,