"zuzu" <sean.zuzu / gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:a988e9f604100418426f657045 / mail.gmail.com...
> what determines an object id?
>
> the purpose of an object id is so that all objects in memory /
> objectspace are uniquely identifiable, yes?
>
> i am curious as to, if ruby objectspace were extended beyond localhost
> -- if multiple users were to *share* an objectspace, how to maintain
> uniquely identifiable objects just as IP numbers do on the internet.

I don't know what you're aiming at, but if you had a seamless (implicit)
distribution of the ruby interpreter across multiple hosts, that runtime
environment would ensure that ids stay unique and it would provide means
for address (or id) resolution and method invocation.  You probably
wouldn't know where an object lives - but you wouldn't have to care
(keeping file IO etc. aside for the moment).

If you have explicit distribution (as with DRB) you typically know when
you access a remote object or a local object although a DRB method call
looks like a normal call.  All objects that you can reference live in the
local object space (and are unique) but some of them are just proxies that
send your request through the network.  Typically you know which are the
proxies because you have to connect to remote objects yourself.

> perhaps that's it?  e.g. 63.151.230.81+0x401b499c
>
> the more i think of that, the more i do favor existing infrastructure
> and not reinventing the wheel.

Again, what are you aiming at?

Regards

    robert