ks> Finally, RPC via XML is an interesting extension.
ks> I view this as ASCII-izing component interactions
ks> that would otherwise be binary (COM, CORBA). As
ks> "Pragmatic Programmer" explains, it's really nice
ks> to keep your data in a human-viewable format,
ks> when possible.

This is something I've recently started exploring as well:

 http://xml.apache.org/soap/

The March 2001 issue of Linux Journal has an interesting article on
SOAP.  Links listed in that article:

 http://soap.weblogs.com/
 http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/
 http://www.soaplite.com/

Need to check out SOAP4R and see what that's like....

--
Amos