Jon Aseltine wrote:
>For this, I would say an application framework and a limited set of core
>applications that everyone uses (email, text editor, browser, file
>manager, etc).

Ok. A collection of applets is something I can
understand. When you say "application framework"
the first thing I think of is MFC, which I doubt
is the model you're thinking of. You've mentioned
components, so I assume that's part of your
thinking.

It sounds like you're more interested in app
development than desktop replacement, per-se.
That is, you haven't really mentioned taking over
the screen and drawing icons where appropriate.
Am I misunderstanding?

What operating system(s) did you have in mind for
this to run on? If you're thinking Win and Mac,
then that takes us even more toward app
development.

If all development were to be in Ruby, then
components might not even be needed--well-written
classes might be able to do everything. I assume
components would be a requirement, to allow
development of apps in other languages.

Kevin