On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Kevin Smith wrote:

> Stephen White wrote:
>
> >I don't even grok why expat is 300k of C source to find <tags>, so that
> >gives you an idea how little I know...
>
> Me neither. I got frustrated trying to find a
> simple HTML/XML parser, so I wrote my own (in C++
> at work). It was about 150 lines and did exactly
> what I needed it to do.

There *really* is (much) more to expat than finding tags.  I have
nothing riding on whether anyone does or does not use it (but note
that if you use the Ruby xmlparser, you're using expat; ditto for
XML::Parser in Perl).  But I would like to discourage even mild
disparagement of James Clark's work, which is, to my mind, phenomenal,
and which has served as bedrock in the open software world.  groff
comes to mind, as do sp (SGML parser) and jade (DSSSL engine).  These
are massive programs, but I'd still recommend erring on the side of
assuming that James isn't needlessly writing extra lines of code :-)

For more on expat, see <http://expat.sourceforge.net>.  For more on
James Clark's other work, see <http://www.jclark.com>.

David

--