Zach Dennis <zdennis / mktec.com> writes:

> I have been thinking lately about rangess and I will give you the two
> different range operators and what comes to mind first.

Whose mind?

> Operator One:    ..   (two dots)
> Example:    1..5
> What comes to mind: Exclusive
> How It Works:   Inclusive (the last number 5, is included)
>
> Operator Two:    ...   (three dots)
> Example:      1...5
> What comes to mind: Inclusive
> How It Works: Exclusive (the last number 5, is excluded)

I'd be curious to know, provided it lies close enough to the
consciousness level, why 1..5 brings to your mind the idea of
exclusive whereas 1...5 brings to your mind the idea of inclusive.

To me 1..5 is `from one to five', and should I say to someone ``go
from point one to five'', I'd surely mean it to reach point five in
the end, not just stop short of it.

1...5 is simply nothing I had ever thought of and, as such, it
couldn't go against anything that came to mind (since nothing came to
mind).  A couple of years ago someone here wrote something like ``Just
think of it as the same of 1..5, just with the 5 pushed aside and thus
not reached''.  I didn't need anything else.

But, of course, I might just be one among a thousand with something in
my head wired backwards.  Then again, I might not.

Massimiliano