On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Austin Ziegler wrote:

> It's the distinction between
>  0..5 == [0, 5] # mathematical notation
> and
>  0...5 == [0, 5) # mathematical notation
>
> In part, this is something that Ruby inherits -- I *think* -- from
> Perl, which uses the .. and ... in this way.

thank you austin for pointing this out.  just to be clear - i'm not opposed to
changing the '..' vs. '...' notation : i'm opposed to eliminating a consise
way to represent both inclusive and exclusive ranges.  it would be a grave
mistake to disallowed exclusive ranges as they are the 'norm' in all of
computer science.

-a