Okay, maybe we think of it this way.  '..' is a club.  '...' is a club, with
a bouncer at the door.

Or, '..' is a path. '...' has a marble tripping up the last entry and
pushing it off the path.

Or, '..' represents a 2-dimensions (a vector). And '...' represents two
dimensions with a daemon kicking the last entry into its own exclusion
dimension (a plane) to live forever, planely in lonely solitude.

Or, maybe I should quit now...Drew