On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 01:19:22PM +0900, David Alan Black wrote:
> Have a look at Dir.glob, compared with Dir.new:
>
> irb 1> Dir.new(".").entries
>    ==>[".", "..", "somefile", "anotherfile", "thirdfile"]
> irb 2> Dir.glob("*")
>    ==>["somefile", "anotherfile", "thirdfile"]

Interestingly...

$ mkdir "test directory"
$ touch touch test\ directory/foo
$ irb
irb(main):001:0> Dir.glob("test directory/*")
[]

Is this a bug? Dir.glob works fine for directories without
a space in their names, but it always returns an empty array
on directories with spaces, AFAICT. I've tried the latest CVS
snapshot and the problem still occurs. Is this a bug with
Ruby or am I just being stupid? ;-)

> Example of how you might use this (together with some
> implicit suggestions about the code logic :-)

Thanks for the suggestions -- I appreciate them.

Thanks also to everyone else who helped me. I think I've
got everything worked out now, except for the annoying
problem above.

Thanks,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway / home.com>
Get my GnuPG key from: http://klamath.dyndns.org/mykey.asc

Hard work never hurt anyone - but why take chances?